EK recommends the following steps to be taken to prevent any biological growth within the warm waters of your liquid cooling loop:
- Always clean and rinse previously used water cooling equipment before you start using it.
- Never use distilled water alone as your primary coolant! Pure distilled water offers no protection against biological growth and corrosion.
- Always use market-proven premix coolants, such as EK-CryoFuel. This glycol-based coolant contains all the necessary biological inhibitors, acts as a surfactant, and offers lubricating properties that prolong the lifespan of the water pump. Besides the stated, it also offers corrosion protection.
- Refrain from using strips of silver (Ag), also known as "Kill Coil" with distilled water alone in your water cooling loop. Besides introducing another metal with no corrosion protection, the concentration of silver ions may not be enough to prevent or suppress biological growth in the liquid cooling loop.
- Refrain from using Copper (II) Sulphate (CuSO4) additive (commonly called "Nuke Cu" or "Biocide Cu"). It will react with metals usually found in liquid cooling loops, especially radiators (Zn, Cu, Sn) and Aluminum (Al), thus promoting corrosion. Using CuSO4 also accelerates visually discouraging copper tarnishing phenomena.
- Always clean, rinse, and dry your water cooling equipment before storing it for later use!
Photo above shows the nickel-plated copper base of the ill-maintained water cooling product.
Brown biological growth is clearly visible, as well as traces of plasticizer inflicted 'gunk' (source: overclock.net)
'Kill Coil' failed to protect the system: Photo above shows the brown organic growth inside of a reservoir (source: overclock.net).